Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Spicy Asian Peanut Sauce

Spicy Asian Peanut Sauce is to die for.   I love flavors that are a little bit sweet and a little bit spicy, and complex.  I really love Asian food in general, and this is such a simple and versatile sauce I wanted to share it.  

all photos courtesy of Alyssa

Here's what you'll need.  You'll have to excuse the JUMBO sized containers, they lack that aesthetic beauty, but  it's how we roll around here!  So you need honey, peanut butter (smooth or crunchy), vinegar, oil, chili oil, soy sauce, garlic, and water.  I love recipes that are adaptable, and this one is.  You can use sugar instead of honey, cider or seasoned rice vinegar instead of plain, chili paste instead of oil, and sesame oil in place of half the cooking oil.  The amount of chili oil or paste is completely variable, but do add some.  For my kids, about 1/3 of what's called for works great.  

I was going to take pictures of the process, but it's so easy it's boring to look at.  You just combine all the ingredients, in any order you like, into a small sauce pan (or a big one if you want to double the recipe).  








Here's the crunchy peanut butter being added.  



You want to heat it (stove top or microwave), just til the peanut butter and other ingredients melt together and combine. 








It should have just the right amount of thickness to cling to whatever you add it to, not as thick as gravy.




Remember I said how versatile this is?  It's great on noodles.  Soba noodles, spaghetti noodles, bean thread noodles, almost any kind of noodles.  And on  vegetables like broccoli, or snow peas, or carrots....   it's good on chicken or fish, including shrimp.  Wonderful on rice too.  


We most often use it as a side dish and just put this over spaghetti noodles when serving chicken or fish...  especially if the main dish has a bit of an Asian flavor to  it already.  I like to use leftovers for a healthy lunch.  Take rice or noodles, any combination of stir fried veggies, and you have a quick and light lunch.  My kids think it's ok.  I LOVE it.  Oh, and I've tried buying bottled peanut sauce thinking it'd save me some time.....   so NOT the same.  I don't know what they do, but it's not nearly as good.  


Spicy Asian Peanut Sauce


4-6 cloves of minced garlic
3 T oil
3 T water
3 T soy sauce
1 T hot chili oil
1 T honey
2 T vinegar
1/4 c peanut butter

No comments:

Post a Comment