Monday, November 29, 2010

Monopoly Anyone?

I bet some of you just love board games.  I feel like I should....  doesn't every good mom want to play endless hours of board games with her kids?  We played some growing up, but let's just say our family didn't always play....  well.....   functionally. So I'm not a fan.  Even though I feel guilty about it. 


Because of this guilt, I do from time to time get sucked into playing.  Last night Alyssa asked me to play Monopoly.  The mother of all board games.  You're looking at a 3 hour minimum time investment.   Do you know what I could with 3 hours?  (read a good book, make a gourmet meal, sleep, plant a garden, rearrange my closet...... )










This is what I got when I said I didn't want to play.  Ok, how do you say no to that?












Soooooo.....   he we are.  Setting up and getting ready to play Monopoly America Special Edition.   It's going to be a long night.  We started at 6:30pm.
















Taylor got in the game too.  He was the top hat.  Alyssa wanted the space shuttle.  And I picked the pie...   because everything else was weird (like movie reels) and I could relate to pie.  Oh, and by the time we got the board set up and the money counted out, it was already like 7:30.  












Taylor was the banker.  This picture is out of focus, because he didn't want his picture taken and after 10 attempts, this was the best shot.  And the top hat really isn't the best piece for him....   but what piece do you choose to illustrate how cutthroat you are in Monopoly?  Hhmmm...... maybe they need a new piece.   An icicle maybe?  How about a scrolled up eviction notice?  All I can say is,  the boy is cold.











Oh fake Monopoly money....   how I wish you were real.















Oh, and right before we started, Dad jumped in the game too.  
















Early in the game, Alyssa accused Taylor of cheating and left the game in a 12 year old girl emotional melodrama.  Natalie quickly took her place much to the annoyance of others who insisted she can't play on her own.














We've got hotels and some serious real estate happening here...   and Natalie learned that she CAN count out money on her own!
















Now, one thing I so dislike about board games, is that as a mom you are constantly interrupted because one child or another needs you.  In the few minutes it took me to get the 3 year old a snack, something sinister went down.  When I came back to the game, Mafia Pete here and his Dad had formed an unholy alliance.  They agreed to merge all their holdings (and they had most of them already), and give each other amnesty (AKA free rent) until they took Natalie and me out.  Then they'd dissolve and go after each other.  Wow....   that's all I can say.   Such cruelty from your spouse and a child you gave birth to (without drugs, who weighed over 10 lbs).....   I'm just sayin'.
















They just sat there and waited for the inevitable bankruptcy.  It didn't take long.  Which is actually not a bad thing.  Because my bankruptcy, which came shortly after Natalie's, ended the 3 HOUR LONG GAME.    Next time could we just play chutes and ladders?  Or, here's an idea!  Play without me.

No comments:

Post a Comment