Monday, October 4, 2010

The Gratitude Game

Ever have one of those days, or weeks (or even months), where things just don't seem to be going your way?   Maybe the kids are out of control, or you get one flu bug after the next.  Maybe you lose someone close to you, or finances become a nightmare.  Maybe, in spite of all your great ideals and planning, life doesn't catch your vision and cooperate.  Unfortunately, adversity happens to everyone.  No one is immune...   money, education, and luck won't protect you.  How do you keep from getting down and feeling sorry for yourself (I really want to know....  tell me!)?


"The ungrateful heart...discovers no mercies; but let the thankful heart sweep through the day and, as the magnet finds the iron, so will it find, in every hour; some heavenly blessings."  Henry Ward Beecher


Yesterday, a very wise, gentle man, reminded me what I already know.  Gratitude is the key.  I believe all religious faiths teach the importance of gratitude.  So does every "success" book and personal development book I've read in the past 18mo (and I've read a LOT).  It's simply a true principle.  


Have you seen the movie Pollyanna?   Much to the initial annoyance of everyone around her, she's always playing the "Glad Game".  In any situation that seems terrible, she determines to find something to be glad about, no matter how small, and it makes her feel instantly better.   I'm going to play the Glad Game today (please feel free to join in).  I NEED it.  












I'm grateful for my children.  Aren't they amazing!  Who would I be without them (other than rested and relaxed)?  They are my reason for trying so hard, and never giving up.  (I wish I had a picture of them all together, but it's like herding cats).








I'm grateful for my faith and the foundation of belief I have.  It helps me in times of trial and reminds me "this too shall pass".  








"When the first baby laughed for the first time, its laugh broke into a thousand pieces, and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies."  JM Barrie


I'm grateful for a child's laughter.




by Alyssa




For the great and varied beauty we have to see on this earth, which is never ending, I am truly grateful.






American Flags by woodleywonderworks




"Freedom is the last, best hope of earth."  Abraham Lincoln




I'm grateful for the freedom and strength of America.   I'm a first generation American on my Dad's side, and second generation on my mom's side.  I have a heritage of family who understood what it meant to live without freedom and came here to follow the American dream.  There may be problems that need fixing, but I firmly believe it is the most blessed place to live.  








And I'm grateful for chocolate.  I mean, really, isn't that something to be grateful for (my kids insisted I include the white chocolate in the photo but I think it's just wrong...   it's not really chocolate is it)? Just like when Harry Potter ate it to feel better after facing the dementors, it makes me feel better too (until I get on the scale).


I could go on and on (about what I'm grateful for, not just chocolate).  From time to time we all need to stop and count our blessings.  Please share some of the things you're grateful for.  It'll make us all smile!

1 comment:

  1. I have to agree with you that gratitude is where it's at! No matter the circumstances we should be able to find the good and something no matter how small to say "thank you" for. love the blog.

    ReplyDelete