Wednesday, October 13, 2010

By Small and Simple Things......











Do you see this little tree?  It's growing from under my front door.  Well, until later today when I rip it out before it brings my house down.    It started from a little seed as most plants do, and has grown into a little shoot.   














Here is a picture of it's older brother (or sister I suppose), that's growing in my front yard.  Still small, but growing towards its full potential.












This very tallest tree is  an impressive specimen of the same kind, grown up with nourishment, light,  and water.  It's quite tall now, and spreading its seeds. Literally.  EVERYWHERE.


















And this is a swath of trees that show the scope in which they have grown, all from little seeds and shoots like the first little guy I showed you.   I hate these trees.  They're called Tree of Heaven, a SLIGHT misnomer.  Imported at one time from Asia and foolishly planted by someone before us on our property, they are exhaustingly invasive.  We have been battling them half-heartedly for years, and are on a search and destroy mission this fall.  


You're probably wondering what on earth my point is, except to complain about these stupid trees in my yard, or make you feel sorry for me (which hopefully you do).  My point is that it reminded me of a very true and important principle that I often lose sight of.   By  small and simple things, great things will come to pass.  These trees are the best physical example of that I could find.   The more important examples though, are those of a more spiritual or personal kind.  When people band together with small efforts, great things can happen.  When we exercise just a few minutes a day, worthwhile changes take place.  Reading something positive and enlightening for just a short time each day can greatly add to our depth and breadth of knowledge.  


I, who always want instant results to be sure something is successful, need to remember that taking one baby step at a time is often all that's required to reach our goals.   I want to be THERE.  Instantly.  Mission accomplished.   Well, sometimes success needs to marinate and develop slowly.   Developing skills and capabilities and  letting go of bad habits and hurtful baggage can take a while.  Sometimes, we deny our own genius and shy away from the great things we could do, because we let fear take hold or we listen to critical voices (even our own).  By small and simple things, great things CAN come to pass.  I'm going to move forward, one small step and effort at a time, and trust that my reward will be  something great.  

No comments:

Post a Comment