Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Legacy of Strong Women

I posted a while ago about the struggle I'm having concerning what to be when I grow up.  I feel torn between the opportunity to build a small business from home.  That I already have.  But never intended to be in charge of.  Yet it's brilliant, and so maybe I should stretch myself.  Or then again, I could run with the business idea I've had (forever) that would be totally different and allow me to indulge my creative side, and that is more in my comfort zone.  I really felt I had to choose.  Why?  Well, frankly, I feel I do a poor enough job of juggling a family of 9, home schooling, life in general with the daily fires to put out, volunteer commitments,  miles on the road, etc.   If I split my focus yet one more way, won't I just break into pieces too tiny to matter?  Won't everything I do, if I do too much, just suffer from lack of care?


I'm wondering now if that's wrong.  Is there a way to do it all, and do it well?  If so, can *I* do it?  So here's what got me questioning.

We're studying American History with A History of Us, by Joy Hakim.  




Cannot say enough how much we love these books!  We're in book 2, "From Colonies to Country" and we came to a story that so impressed and fascinated me about a strong woman.  The chapter is titled "The Girl Who Always Did Her Best".  Well, that's an understatement!  Eliza Pinckney moved with her family from the Carribean to South Carolina when she was 16.  Her father almost immediately went off to war and her mother became seriously ill.  






photo from A History of Us






She's well noted for her intelligence; speaking three languages, playing instruments, and studying.  She also took over all business operations for her father's three large plantations.  At 16.  She experimented with new crops, growing the first successful indigo in the colonies.  She rose up early each day and read for a couple of hours, then took some exercise while checking on the plantations.  She studied her music, and reviewed things she was learning (like French and shorthand).  At 22 she chose a husband for herself who was 45.  She had three children, and then her husband died.  So, she ran her three plantations along with her husband's SEVEN.  According to history she did this and raised her family outstandingly.  


And I can't seem to fit it all in.  Yes, life today is different.  We have places to be, phone calls to make, meetings to attend, emails to answer... and she undoubtedly had servants to help.  But so do we.  They're called dishwashers, washing machines, and microwaves.  Right?






I'm about ready to read a book to learn a lot more about Abigail Adams. Impressive woman. Wife of John Adams, mother of six children in 10 years, two of whom were buried young.  John had long absences from home and Abigail ran home and farm while he was  away.  Their well preserved letters show a woman who was his intellectual equal (at least), always studying and learning, eloquent in speech, and independent.  She made financial decisions and investments while he was away.  She was often referred to as "Mrs. President" while he was in the White House because she was so politically active.  




photo from A History of Us






I love the passage in Proverbs (31: 10-31) that I hadn't taken much notice of until recently.  It describes a good and virtuous woman.  Her husband's heart is safe with her.  She works willingly with her hands, and brings her food from afar.  She rises early, before anyone else, to feed her family.  She transacts business, buying a field and planting the vineyard with her own hands.  She strengthens herself and sees that what she produces is good. She cares for the needy.  Her family is richly and warmly clothed, and she makes and sells extra linen. She speaks with wisdom and kindness and is not idle.  There's more if you want to read the whole thing (and more beautifully than my paraphrasing).


To be honest, until recently that would have probably made me a bit...  well, defensive.  I don't know about you, but I often feel my to-do list and the expectations of others for me are plenty long.  As I often tell my family, "I am only one woman".  Yet look at what one good woman can do.  Think of all the powerful and strong women throughout history.  Think of the ones you know today!  What have they done? I now see that rather than a list of things to do, that passage in Proverbs simply outlines all that I have the power to be!  Good women do much because we CAN.  


This week I think we'll have a short home school holiday. Monday and Tuesday off.   We haven't really taken any days off, and this woman needs some time to ponder and plan the possibilities.  Home and family must be preserved.. yes.  Some things in life are more important than others..  true.  But if these women could do it, can't I find a way to be more and do more and still be true to myself and my priorities?  Am I capable of more than I think I am?  Do I have more power than I realize?  Life is a choice.  It's all a choice.  And I have some choices to make.  

No comments:

Post a Comment