Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Womanly Art of Breadmaking

Today seemed like a good day to teach the little girls the womanly art of bread making.  Bread making is fun.  Especially for kids.  You get to dump lots of stuff into the mixer.  Yeast is fun to smell (not!).  Plus the idea of yeast "eating" the sugar and flour and then "burping" gas to make it grow...   you get a little gross out humor too.   It's also kind of cool that from a lump of flour, water, yeast and a few minor things, you can make FOOD!   


It today's fast paced world, where so many people don't even cook or share meals together, I think there are some valuable skills that need preserving.  You may not choose to make all your own bread all the time.  But it's good to know you can if you need to (store's closed, car won't start, lost your debit card....).  It's a good feeling to know in today's wacky economy and uncertain times, that you CAN control something.  You can rise above that mess a little bit and be self sufficient.  








We started with some wheat grinding today.  Our wheat grinder is ancient!  I mean, really, look at it!  It weighs a ton and everyone is deafened for the time it's running.   Fun, fun, fun though.  If you're a kid, the more noise the better, right?   










After all, Rapunzel must have made her own bread up in that tower, don't you think?   So now we have a nice batch of whole wheat flour (half red and half white...   because I'm in love with the white wheat, but can't bear to just waste the red).  Anyone out there want to trade me some hard white wheat for my hard red wheat?  *sigh*   I didn't think so. 




Natalie and Chloe both wanted to help and asked a lot of questions.  I have to admit...   I am not good at sharing my kitchen.  I'm usually short on time, I know exactly what I want to do and how I want it done, and I don't always have the patience to slow down and endure bigger messes so my kids can learn.  Especially in the kitchen. I know, terrible isn't it?  I'm trying though!  






They didn't even fight (much) over who got to dump what into the mixer.  I have to remember that even young kids are capable of SO much.  After one cupful of flour, I left Chloe alone to put on the lid and start the mixer while I was in another room.  Which she did.  With no problem.  










After all the mixing...   we're just waiting for the bread to rise....   
































and we're back!  Ok, so the girls had a good time kneading the bread (which we failed to get photos of).  




But this is the face of a girl who got to pummel some bread dough.
















"You did not just touch my dough!"
















"I am a force to be reckoned with!"  (and don't we all know it).  












So we got the bread into the pans.  I LOVE these long loaf pans.  They're shaped like the store-bought bread that most kids are familiar with (unless they've only known homemade).  I make at least 4 at a time and freeze them, which lasts for a week or two.  






I wish you could smell this....  mmmmmm......  it smells lovely in here!  Fresh baked bread.  YUM.  You know you want some  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment