Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Who Am I?

Call me a dork.  A throw-back.  A nervous tic in the eye of a staunch feminist.  But Ma Ingalls is my hero!  My favorite books growing up were the Little House series.  I read them every summer from 3rd grade til adulthood, and have since read them a few times over to several of my children.  To me, they symbolize the spirit of America and of simplicity and most importantly of womanly empowerment.  That's right, I said womanly empowerment.


I realize these days that it's widely accepted that the best place for women to find empowerment is in fashioning themselves after men, or at least doing their best to fit into a man's world. For many years, women who found fulfillment with home and family were looked down on as less than a complete or successful woman (and maybe they still are).   I think true empowerment is found in the freedom to decide where you fit, what fulfills you, and how you fashion the landscape of your life.


As I read those books, I was fascinated by the idea that individual women used to do for themselves and their families, what had become widely understood and accepted could only be done by large industry.  Soapmaking, growing all your own food, making your own cheese, even your own mattresses (no, I do NOT want to give up my Sealy for a straw tick) came into my awareness.  Women, not industry, used to have the power and skills to do these things.  Now, don't get me wrong.  I very much appreciate modern conveniences!  Take away my cell phone, indoor plumbing, and minivan and I'm a mess (details of this actual nightmare to follow!).  As I write this, I'm sitting in my pajamas in my living room, on my nifty little laptop.  So, I adore modern technology!  That said, I feel we've lost something precious.  


Women had the ultimate power to care for and shape their families long before they thought of putting on their first business suit.    I think it's sad that so many women today have power in their careers, but admit they can't put a meal on the table for their families unless they buy it and bring it home.  Do I advocate that we return to the role of the pioneer woman?  Not exactly, but I choose to find empowerment through fulfilling my role and doing what only a woman can really do well (I know some people will find that a sexist comment!).


 I was very much a meek and complacent child.  Not a spark of rebel in me.  Something about becoming a mother inspired a transformation and lit a small ember of rebellion though.  I began to question "societal wisdom" and realized there were choices I could make each day in how I cared for and raised my famiy that mattered.   To me, that's the true root of empowerment.  Knowing you can question conventional wisdom, find what's best for you and your family, and DO IT.  















































3 comments:

  1. Very interesting. I like the rebellion twist you put on motherhood, which is usually seen as being complacent. I think you're right. Everyone needs to look at all the options life has for them choose which is most fulfilling for them. I think this will change as we go through different stages of our lives. Being a woman is hard! There are so many different choices and so many consequences of those choices that affect not only us, but our friends and family as well. Thank you for reminding me about the choice I have to feel empowered in whatever it is I may be doing. I am not forced! I can choose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog Julie~ Interesting too. I enjoyed reading it and will come back and read from time to time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments! Being empowered is a choice, but it's so easy to lose sight of that. And slogging through all those options can be overwhelming, but we have the power we need to get through it.

    ReplyDelete