Sunday, September 11, 2011

Our first week of school

So, the school year has officially begun.  We're easing into the routine, both at home, and at outside activities.  I think the initial sting is gone, and it's become normal again after a low key summer. We are doing our learning a little differently this year, so that I can be available to work several days a week, and the new curriculum's not in full swing yet.  But here's some fun things about this past week.  They may not all seem like "school" but as a homeschooler, I firmly believe learning opportunities can be found anytime and everywhere!


1.  Taylor, who is in public high school auditioned for the first theater performance of the year, the musical production of Beauty and the Beast.  Parts are being assigned late tonight and we're all hoping for a major role for him. He's playing Maurice, Belle's father!  In fact, he's taking so many music and drama classes, that there isn't room in his schedule for all the required classes.  So he'll be doing those online this summer (hhmm...   sounds a little like homeschooling to me!)


2.  Alyssa and Natalie auditioned for Mid Columbia Ballet's Nutcracker (Alyssa's 7th year and Natalie's 3rd).  Parts should be out this week!  Always exciting, anxious, and sometimes a little disappointing (only initially).  When Taylor and the girls are all cast, we'll have a total of 21 performances in the month of December.  Yikes!


3. I spent Saturday with all 4 of my girls.  And Neil.  (Caitlin's fiance).  We went to the Pasco Flea Market for the first time and Neil helped with Spanish translation.  The girls had a blast!  Then we went to the Pasco Farmer's Market, some dress shops to look at sparkly dresses, a Mexican bakery for lunch, and then a stop at the ballet studio before hitting some thrift shops to bargain hunt.  Neil got am ample dose of estrogen!  He was a good sport, and we all had fun!


4. A trip to Moses Lake to the orthodontist..   ok, that's not anyone's idea of fun, but we did take one route there and another back to see which was shorter in mileage and time. Because we'll be making this long trip a lot over the next two years. Now we know.  


5. The hunt for bridesmaid dresses might be over.  Trying to find something affordable, modest, in the right shade of the right color, available before we need it....   aaaggghhhh!!!!!!   Hopefully we'll get that in stone this week (of course I said that the last two weeks, but whatever).  


6. Chloe has learned to be an awesome helper by picking up her own toys pretty willingly. And happily.  It's a happy day when the kid that makes the most mess starts to help clean it all back up.  


7. I've gotten my educational goals back on track.  I admit I didn't engage my brain much this summer.  But I've got a reading list and some good goals of things to study between now and January when I start college classes.  I read Everyday Grace, by Marianne Williamson.  And I'm reading Chaos, Making a New Science, by James Gleick.  Again. Because I got 1/4 of the way through it 9 years ago and I need to finish.  I'm starting at the beginning.  I'm not a big science person, but I feel the need to challenge myself.  I don't get it all the first time I read it, so it's slow going, but fascinating. 


8.  Spanish.  I took it in 7th, 8th, and 9th grades, then a semester in college.  You'd think I could speak it, but I can't.  Classroom Spanish is never spoken at the speed a real person speaks it (not even close).  I can still read some. Understand a native speaker though?  Not even.  But I figure I will need a second language for my degree, Neil and lots of his family speak it, and it's time I conquered it.  His mom teaches it as WSU Tri Cities..  so I've got all the books I need.  Caitlin's learning too, so we can practice together.  


9.  I met my soon to be in-laws last weekend.  I was SO nervous.  They are both so smart and talented. And accomplished. And educated and degreed.  I was feeling pretty inadequate with just my degree in diaper changing.  We had a wonderful time with them! They are wonderful, gracious, kind, welcoming, fun, and interesting!  If we have to lose a daughter, at least we get to gain a family! 


10.  I didn't get my fridge cleaned, my photo albums organized, my bedroom dusted, my college transcripts ordered, and a host of other things.  But it's ok.  They'll get done.  This week we had better things to do!



No comments:

Post a Comment