Saturday, April 16, 2011

Guess where I am?

I haven't had a vacation in WAY too long.  You know, a real vacation.  Not staying in a hotel because you're traveling on business, or attending a seminar, or a wedding, or on your way to Grandma's house.... but a real vacation, where someplace sunny and tropical is involved, and maybe a private bungalow on a private island. Like this one. 




(with permission from anoldent, because I've never been there to take a photo myself..sigh)


But no.  I'm in Salmon, ID.  It's nearly 50F today.  But hey, the one inch of wet snow they predicted didn't happen yet.  Whoo hoo!  I'm not here on vacation really. Caitlin is going through a 4 day long workshop to become certified as a horse therapy instructor. 








I am having a big break from mommyville (except for the phone calls, texts, Facebook messages, etc...). I'm enjoying the peace, quiet, maid service, not cooking,  and not driving anywhere daily.  I'm getting a LOT of planning done (cause I'm a planner), and downtime..... big time.  


Salmon has about 3500 people.  It's far removed from any big town.  Because of the mountains we had to drive from Washington, to Idaho, to Montana, and into Idaho again to get here.






This is highway 93 in Montana. Beautiful.






Just minutes down the road we see this dusting of new snow up high.










This is like one mile later. At road level.   










About the time we crossed into Idaho and were headed down the pass..  with 20 mph hairpin turns..  this is what it looked like at road level.  Snowplows were plowing the snow and ice on the road and it was slick.  It's APRIL.


Salmon is the kind of town I'd have given anything to live in a few years ago. Part of me still wishes I lived on some ranch somewhere living a homesteader's life.  Now that I have children who are older and highly involved in their passions, which require lessons and almost daily commitments away from home, I wish I lived closer to town, not farther away. 















Quaint little town, isn't it?  The courthouse is right up that hill.










This is a shot of main street.  Lots of little restaurants and a few little shops.   It's a pretty town.  Great place for a vacation if you love outdoorsy activities like white water rafting, hunting, and packing trips.  




We're staying at the Stagecoach Inn.  It's packed.  Because it's the annual Salmon Select horse and mule sale.  There are cowboys and cowgirls everywhere.  Even little tiny ones.  We're really happy with the hotel.  Free breakfast and excellent service.  The room is big and comfortable.  Walking distance to downtown and the Salmon River.








This is the "backyard" of the hotel.  Lovely area to sit out at the right time of year.  A little cool and rainy this time.  
















 I'm not sure what these trees or bushes are, but they look like flames.  They're all along the rivers here.  Love it!




So that's my travel log of Salmon, ID.  Tomorrow afternoon, it's back to Montana, then Idaho (again), then Washington.  We're praying there's no snow on the passes. Because they're predicting more.  It's APRIL for Pete's sake.  

No comments:

Post a Comment